Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Playing The Game of Pain By Ron Downing

This is a poem about a old relationship I had. I was inspired to write it after listening to an old Garth Brooks song.

In 1982 I was learning to fly through skies of blue.
I met you, in the Golden Arches drive through.
Your brown eyes caused my heart to skip a beat or two.
My throat became parched leaving me speechless before you
.
broken hearts are this lady’s game no two games are ever the same
Boys who laid eyes on her should feel no shame for losing her game.
She sends all her boyfriends down in flames
In 1982 I thought that we were tighter than glue.
After just a few dates. I fell in-love with you.
My love for you, was honest and true.

As summer flew past I knew I had to spend my life with you.
Broken hearts are this lady’s game no two games are ever the same
Boys who laid eyes on her should feel no shame for losing her game.
She sends all her boyfriends down in flames
In 1982 like a fool on bended knee i proposed to you.

Without a clue that you would break my heart in two.
I could not help, but feel blue without you.
I was in pain, that too was part of her game
I could not claim, she should take all the blame
I knew it to be true, If I played her games I would go down in flames 

Broken hearted over you I headed to the VFW for a brew.
All I could talk about was you. My friends said I had a loose screw.
After a few brews, I was sure I knew Kung-fu got in a fight to forget you
I no longer play her games that left me in pain and feeling Shame
Her game is now like a dying flame though she tries just the same
By 1992 I rarely thought of you

I heard you were married to Drew, Husband number two.
Your heart was broken in two, when you discovered he cheated on you.
This was not cool so you too cheated with his cousin and the bartender too
you play the game though its not the same.
Now you feel the shame as you go down in flames

Your classy champagne no-longer covers your pain.
In 2002 I caught a view of you and chose not to pursue.
I could see you had another fool with you.
Watching you I knew, father time had not been good to you.
For whatever reason, I felt blue for you,
Yet glad that you broke my heart in two back in 1982


No comments:

Post a Comment